Guided salmon fishing
The guided salmon fishing program (duration 8 h) includes:
- Fishing the Elorn (and the Leguer) if water levels and fish runs comply.
- Learning the biology and behavior of Atlantic salmon.
- Fishing strategies, reading the water, approach and finding fish lies and holding pools.
- One handed and two handed casting: roll and switch casts, steeple casts, Spey casts (single and double), shooting line, presentation.
- Drift fishing and presentation of the fly: line mends and retrieves.
- Choosing a specific fly, leader setup and construction, lines, fishing knot basics.
Season : September to late October
My guided salmon fishing includes :
Tuition (duration 8h), lunch pick-nick with fresh regional organic products as well as top quality tackle for hire (rods, reels, lines, leaders and flies).
It does not include: transportation to and from the river Léguer in Côtes d’Armor (30€ supplement per day fishing).
Also not included: fishing licenses: 12€/day (please provide your address and birth information). By law, fishing for salmon requires a yearly special supplement for migrating fish (50€), lodging.
Hours: from dawn onwards (according to prevailing daylight).
Rates individual guiding: 220€/day (rates are subject to discount for groups of 2 or 3 anglers). See Rates.
The decision to lengthen the season by adding a late “ fly only ” season on certain watersheds in northern Brittany and the satisfying stocks of Salmo salar present on two rivers I know best, the Elorn and the Léguer (with better springer returns in 2013 and 2014) should allow, if good water conditions prevail, for reasonable fly fishing. Please contact me for information about the current water levels!
To catch a salmon in Brittany requires a certain degree of flexibility in one’s planning as you will need to go when the moment is right (which usually is also the case with most European rivers!).
Salmon fishing season 2021 (only grilse can be legally harvested, which will not be the case when I am guiding as I refuse to kill wild salmonids!):
- Lower reaches of the Elorn and rivers of Morlaix (Penzé, Queffleuth, Jarlot, Douron): ongoing (to be confirmed).
- Lower reaches of the Léguer: ongoing (to be confirmed).